In this article, we are going to learn about the Logic OR Gate definition, OR Gate truth table, the symbol of OR Gate, the Boolean expression of OR Gate, a Timing diagram of OR Gate, and it the last, the IC 7432 datasheet. So let’s start with the definition, of OR Gate.
👉🏻 AND Gate Truth Table – Details, Symbol & Circuit Diagram
👉🏻 Comparison of logic Families
- An “OR” gate performs the logical addition on its inputs therefore its output will be high (1) if any one or both the inputs are high (1).
- Its output will be low (0) if and only if both the inputs are simultaneously low (0).
Logical Symbol of OR Gate
- The below figure shows the logical symbol for two inputs OR Gate.
OR Gate Truth Table
- The below figure shows the truth table for two inputs OR Gate.
- Note that the output Y is LOW (0) if and only if both the inputs are LOW (0).
- if any one or both the inputs are HIGH (1), then the output is HIGH (1).
Boolean Expressions of OR Gate
- the boolean expression of an OR Gate is:
- By substituting different values of A and B into this expression we can get the corresponding output. This is how we can verify the truth table of a gate.
Multiple Input OR gate
- The below figure shows the logical symbol and the truth table for 3-input and 4-input OR gates.
Boolean Expression for 3-input and 4-input OR gate
- The Boolean expression for a 3-input OR gate is:
- The Boolean expression for a 4-input OR gate is:
Timing Diagram of OR Gate
- The Input and output voltage waveform for the pulsed operation of a two OR gate is shown in the figure below.
- From the waveform, we conclude that OR gate will obey its truth table for pulsed operation as well.
Standard Package of OR Gate
- The OR gate is available in the monolithic integrated circuit form.
- IC 7432 is a 14-pin TTL integrated circuit with four, two-input OR gates inside.
- The pin configuration of IC 7432 is shown below in the figure.
Download Datasheet for IC 7432 PDF: IC 7432 Datasheet PDF
Frequently Asked Questions on OR Gate