1Current Affairs April 2021 pdf in Detail
1. Oxygen Concentrators
- Oxygen Concentrator is a medical device. It filters oxygen from the atmosphere and helps individuals inhale it through a mask or cannula.
- Atmospheric air has about 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen with other gases making up the remaining 1%.
How does it work?
- The concentrator takes in this atmospheric air, filters it through a sieve. Further, it releases the nitrogen back into the air and works on the remaining oxygen.
- This oxygen compressed and dispensed through a cannula, is 90-95% pure.
- A pressure valve in concentrators helps regulate supply, ranging from 1-10 liters of oxygen per minute.
- Oxygen concentrators are the easiest alternatives to cylinders but can only supply 5-10 liters of oxygen per minute (critical patients may need 40-50 liters per minute).
2. The Global Forest Goals Report 2021: UN Report
- The Report has been prepared by the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations. It provides an initial overview of the progress of Goals and targets contained within the United Nations Strategic Plan for Forests 2030.
- According to the United Nations’ Global Forest Goals Report 2021, the Covid-19 pandemic has aggravated the challenges faced by countries in managing their forests.
Impact of Covid-19 on Forest Dependent Population:
- On the economic front, forest-dependent populations have faced job loss, reduced income, diminished access to markets and information, and for many women and youth, a contraction in seasonal employment.
- Pandemic driven health and socio-economic outcomes have increased pressure on forests.
- local communities, as well as returning migrants and urban workers, have retreated deeper into the woods to seek food, fuel, shelter, and protection from the risks of Covid-19.
- Total Forest Area: According to the Global Forest Resources Assessment 2020 (FRA 2020) report, the world’s total forest area is 4.06 billion hectares which is 31% of the total land area.
- Top Countries in Forest Cover—the Russian Federation, Brazil, Canada, the United States of America, and China constituted more than 54% of the world’s forests.
- According to the India State of Forest Report, 2019, the Total Forest and Tree cover is 24.56% of the geographical area of the country.
- Forest Cover (Area-wise): Madhya Pradesh> Arunachal Pradesh> Chhattisgarh> Odisha> Maharashtra.
3. The Hydrogen Economy – New Delhi Dialogue 2021
- The Energy Forum (TEF) and the Federation of Indian Petroleum Industry (FIPI), under the aegis of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India, organized a Hydrogen Roundtable titled “Hydrogen Economy- the Indian Dialogue-2021” in a virtual model.
- The roundtable will discuss emerging hydrogen ecosystems and explore opportunities for collaboration, cooperation, and coalition.
- The objective of the roundtable is to understand the progress of the Hydrogen ecosystem across continents and contribute to creating synchrony among the thinktanks, Governments, and the industry to join forces for developing innovative and sustainable technologies at attractive costs.
4. Quarterly Projection Model 2.0
- India’s central bank said it has revised its inflation-forecasting model to better capture how fiscal and monetary policy interact with real-economy elements.
- Dubbed as the Quarterly Projection Model 2.0, the RBI’s economists describe the framework as a forward-looking, open economy, calibrated, new-Keynesian gap model. The previous version had often been criticized for overestimating upside risks to inflation.
5. PLI Scheme for White Goods (Air Conditioners and LED)
- The Union Cabinet approved the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme for White Goods (Air Conditioners and LED Lights) with a budgetary outlay of Rs. 6,238 crore.
- The PLI Scheme for White Goods shall extend an incentive of 4% to 6% on incremental sales of goods manufactured in India for a period of five years to companies engaged in manufacturing Air Conditioners and LED Lights.
- PLI Scheme: A scheme that aims to give companies incentives on incremental sales from products manufactured in domestic units.
- The scheme invites foreign companies to set units in India, however, it also aims to encourage local companies to set up or expand existing manufacturing units.
6. Inclusive Internet Index 2021
- The Inclusive Internet Index is commissioned by Facebook and developed by The Economist Intelligence Unit.
- rank 1-Sweden
- rank 2-United States
- India 49 rank
- The overall Index score is based on four parameters, which are: Availability, Affordability, Relevance and Readiness categories.
7. World Press Freedom Index 2021
The Press Freedom Index is an annual ranking of countries compiled and published by Reporters Without Borders.
- Rank 1 – Norway
- Rank 2 – Finland
- Rank 142 – India
8. Wisden ODI Cricketers of the Decades
- The 50th anniversary of the first One-Day International, five ODI cricketers of the decade has been named in the 2021 edition of the Wisden Cricketers.
- 1970s : Vivian Richards (West Indies)
- 1980s : Kapil Dev (India)
- 1990s : Sachin Tendulkar (India)
- 2000s : M Muralitharan (Sri Lanka)
- 2010s : Virat Kohli (India)
2Important One Line Current Affairs April 2021
The veteran film star from Tamil Nadu who has been chosen for the Dada Saheb Phalke award (for 2019)
The Marathi novelist who has been chosen for 2020 Saraswati Samman for his novel Sanatan, by KK Birla Foundation
Answer: Sharankumar Limbale
The Supreme Court Judge who has been appointed as the next Chief Justice of India
Answer: Justice Nuthalapati Venkata Ramana
The Indian State which has become the first in the country to launch a cashless medical insurance scheme worth Rs. 5 lakh to each family of the state
The new Chief Election Commissioner of India who has been appointed to take over from Shri Sunil Arora
Answer: Shri Sushil Chandra
The Indian chess player from Tamil Nadu who has become 68th Indian Chess Grandmaster
Answer: Arjun Kalyan